All you need to know about Dunwoody's progressive community development activities.

Please contact the Development Coordinators at 678-382-6800 to obtain construction specifications as well as a plan review checklist, details, buffer regulations, and stormwater regulations.

Discuss this situation with the Community Development Department for clarification as to how your project should be handled. If the project appeared before the Design Review Board, the Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Commission, or Mayor and City Council, you will most likely need a development permit. You may need a development permit, even if you obtained an administrative approval for your project. 

Additional permits may be required from DeKalb County, the Georgia DOT, Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission (GSWCC), the Environmental Protection Division (EPD), and/or the Dunwoody Public Works Department. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Community Development Department at 678-382-6800. 

To obtain a permit for construction in the City of Dunwoody, an application must be filed with the Community Development Department. Hours of operation are 8:00 am-5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. 

Yes. Georgia law, O.C.G.A. 43-14, requires all persons contracting or performing for hire any plumbing, electrical, low voltage, heating-air conditioning or utility work in Georgia to be duly and currently licensed by the Georgia State Construction Industry Licensing Board for that work. The purpose of this is to regulate building and construction in the City of Dunwoody, to provide for the administration and enforcement of the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes and to establish procedures for the permitting and inspection of buildings within the City of Dunwoody. This requirement is also required of homeowners attempting the work themselves. 

All permits are reviewed for compliance with the codes and processed as quickly as possible. There is not an additional expediting process. 

Depending upon the complexity of the project, a building permit could be issued the same day for a simple residential interior renovation, or up to eight weeks for a complicated commercial structure. 

You may contact a staff person within the Community Development Department 678-382-6800 with your permit tracking number issued at the time of your application to check the current status. 

The owner of a property is responsible for what transpires on his/her property, but licensed contractors know that permits are required before work begins as it is a part of the test for licensing. 

Flood plain questions should be directed to the Engineering Division at 678-382-6801.