Building Inspections

All you need to know about Dunwoody's progressive community development activities.

Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the construction codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Community Development Department and obtain the required permit for the work. A permit shall not be issued to an owner, who is neither a licensed contractor nor the occupant of a residential structure being altered. Routine maintenance such a painting, floor coverings, and wall paper, do not require a permit. 

Please click here to schedule an inspection. Click in the Viewing Portal and search by your permit number. We do not accept same day inspection requests. Please click in Requested Date option to select the future date you are requesting. 

The inspection staff is limited and work as combination inspectors. The length of time an inspector might be on a job site is unpredictable therefore making it difficult to schedule set times for inspections. 

The City of Dunwoody always issues either a Certificate of Completion or a Certificate of Occupancy, depending on the scope of the work, when the job has passed final inspection. It may be in a homeowner’s best interest to require a contractor to produce the appropriate document prior to final payment. 

Yes, water heaters are under the purview of the plumbing and gas codes requiring permits and inspections to ensure a safe installation. State licensing is also required if a tradesman is doing the job. 

A permit is required for a new deck or replacement of an existing deck. Submit a building permit application with two copies of a site plan showing existing as well as the proposed structures with all the information addressed on the Residential LDP Site Plan Checklist. This is used to determine if the setbacks and other applicable codes are met. 

For new construction, windows are required to display the NFRC label with a U-factor of 0.50 or less and a SHGC not to exceed 0.30. 

Pictures are not accepted in lieu of inspections in the City of Dunwoody. 

No, the insulation cannot be installed for the rough-in inspection; it is considered a visual obstruction and is conducted after the rough-in.