Planning and Zoning

All you need to know about Dunwoody's progressive community development activities.

Yes. Any person or persons, jointly or severally, aggrieved by any decision of the Zoning Board of Appeals under the terms of the Zoning Ordinance may appeal the decision to the DeKalb County Superior Court. 

All applications, which contain checklists of materials required for each, and a meeting calendar can be obtained on our website and from the Community Development Department at 41 Perimeter Center East, Suite 250, Dunwoody, GA 30346.

Each applicant must complete a conceptual review application and attend a follow-up meeting with staff prior to submitting the required documents for any amendment, special land use permit, or substantial development permit. The Department is unable to accept an application until the conceptual review meeting has been held with staff.

Building permits are not normally required for fences, but if you are installing a swimming pool it is part of the swimming pool requirements which are permitted and inspected.  Contact staff to determine maximum fence heights and other applicable requirements.

First, check the documents you received when you closed on your house, as this often includes a survey. You can request building department records if your house was originally built inside the city limits; however, such records do not always exist. In this case, you may try contacting DeKalb County Clerk of Superior Court or have a new survey done by a certified professional.